Import format file
How to import 3D files:
When you import a 3DS file, you have the possibility of merging the imported objects with the current scene or you can replace the current scene completely. If you do choose to merge the objects with the scene you already have, you will be asked whether you wish to reset the length of the animation in the scene to the length of the imported file (if the imported file does contain animation).
you import a 3DS file, you will find that the following information
- Backgrounds (they can be solid, gradient, and bitmap).
- Fog, Layered Fog, and Distance Cue.
- Ambient light level.
- Subtractive transparency is converted to 3ds Max "Filter" transparency and the filter color is set equal to the diffuse color.
- Transparency falloff settings.
- All enabled map channels. If there are Map channels that are turned off they will not import into 3ds Max.
- All map parameters, including UV transforms, Negative, Mirror, and Rotation. Some Map parameters that work differently in 3ds Max, convert to new values that produce similar affect, such as Blur, Luma, RGB, and Alpha work much differently in 3ds Max.
- Mask bitmaps are imported as 3ds Max mask textures.
- A composite texture can be created when materials with both Texture 1 and Texture 2 are imported. It will then be added to the Standard material’s Diffuse channel.
- Reflection maps, auto-cubics, and mirrors.
- Map Size settings and Automatic reflection map Nth frame.
- SXP translation for Marble and Noise materials.
- 3DS/DOS R4 IK joint parameters.
- 3D Surfer patch data.
All the above items and shapes are imported when you import a PRJ file.
careful, the following information will not get imported when you
import a 3DS file:
- Morph keys.
- Keyframer instances.
- Map channels that are turned off.
- Custom .cub-format cubic maps.
- Decal transparency using the RGB color of the upper-left pixel of the map.
To import an FBX file:
- Launch 3ds Max.
- Select Application Menu > Import, and use the file browser to locate the FBX file you want to import.
- If you do not see FBX file extension the File of Type menu, it did not correctly install or is not the correct version. Check that you have the correct version of the 3ds Max FBX plug-in and reinstall it. Do not run 3ds Max while you install the plug-in. See Web updates for information on how to verify your plug-in version.
- The FBX Importer window opens. Set the import options you want.
- Click Ok.